Sydney will hopefully become less violence infested since the foundation of a panel to make suggestions on issues affecting Sydney’s nightlife has been announced.
The jury of more than 40 citizens is going to be empanelled with the task of tackling the issue of alcohol fuelled violence plaguing Sydney’s streets.
The panel is a joint effort, initiated by The Thomas Kelly Youth Foundation, the City of Sydney, the NSW government and the independent newDemocracy Foundation.The group will be composed of 43 randomly selected citizens of Sydney who are not affiliated with any parties, lobbyists or interest groups. Members of the panel will be asked to compile at least 5 recommendations to help make Sydney’s night life safer and less violence prone.
The initiative is being championed by someone who has been directly affected Sydney’s violent night life, Ralph Kelly, the father of teenager Thomas Kelly.
Thomas Kelly was slain in the notorious Kings Cross District last year when he decided to visit the area for the first time.
An article on www.TheAustralian.com.au explains,
Ralph Kelly, the father of Thomas Kelly who died after being king hit at Kings Cross in July last year, said the panel would hopefully cut through self-interest and conflicting views.
“I hadn’t appreciated just how politically complex this issue is,” Mr Kelly, who founded the Thomas Kelly Youth Foundation, said on Tuesday.
“I just want a jury of people to really look at what is happening and for there to be a sensible and informed conversation which government listens to.
“We don’t know what the outcome will be, but I think a citizens’ jury is a way to get beyond the simple back-and-forth between lobbies which goes nowhere.”
The primary sponsors of the initiative are the City of Sydney and the NSW government and will cost the state more than $132,000.
The call for jury members will be issued to a group of randomly selected Sydney residents from a selected sample of 20,000. The jury will also be made up of university and TAFE students to ensure that the 18-24 year old demographic is adequately represented.
Discussions will begin early next year and will include 6 face-to-face meetings where members of the panel will be asked to come up with set recommendations to reduce Sydney’s nightlife violence that could be attached and accomplished in a set timeframe.
Various interest groups will be allowed to voice their opinions to the jury who will make the ultimate decisions. These decisions will then be taken, as is to parliament. The article on www.TheAustralian.com.au goes on to explain:
Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore said expert groups, interest groups, community groups and lobbyists will be invited to make their case, but the extent of their role will be in the hands of the jury.
NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell has agreed the recommendations of the jury will be taken to parliament unaltered, she said.