Are you a social drinker, who enjoys having a few drinks amongst friends? The problem is that if you’re on a diet or just watching your weight, those evening trips to the pub may actually be more damaging to your diet than you realise, especially if your preferred drinks are mixed with high calorie mixers.
Here are some simple tips to help you enjoy a drink without ruining your diet,
- Set a drinking goal and hold yourself accountable. You can also ask a friend to help you be accountable. Experts say saving up your allotted drinks to disperse among social ocassions can help. Keep in mind that the daily recommended limit is 2 standard drinks.
- Consume loads of water. Start and end your night off with a big glass of water. And for every alcoholic drink you have, make sure you have a glass of water as well. Alcohol is a diureti, meaning it can cause you to lose water and become dehydrated, which accounts for some of the discomfort we experience when we have a hangover. Avoid this by drinking lots of water, still or sparkling.
- Eat before you drink or nibble while you’re drinking. Drinking on an empty stomach causes alcohol to be more quickly absorbed into your bloodstream, causing intoxication. Stay away from greasy foods, junk food and spicy foods, instead have a balanced diet of complex carbohydrates, protein and fats.
- Avoid drinks with mixers. These have the highest levels of sugar and carbs. Pina coladas for example are notoriously bad for your diet. Instead opt for a spirit mixed with sparkling water or soda water.
- Opt for low-carb drinks. Pure liquors such as vodka, whiskey, scotch, gin and tequila contain zero carbs. Wine and beers are higher in carbs.
- Drink solwly. Remember that your stomach absorbs alcohol faster than your liver can metabolise it. Drink slowly to slow down the alcohol absorption.
- Drink smarter. Know what you’re drinking. By knowing how many calories you’re consuming, you can make smarter choices. Also know how many standard drinks you’re consuming because you must avoid intoxication. Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/nomanazish/2019/07/28/how-to-enjoy-alcohol-without-ruining-your-diet/#5b98276dbd2e