Doctors in Vietnam actually saved a man’s life with 15 cans of beer.
According to media reports, a 48 year old man was taken to hospital in the Quang Tri province of north-central Vietnam for severe alcohol poisoning on Christmas Day.
The man had such high levels of methanol in his body that it was 1000 times over the recommended limit.
Doctors immediately administered 3 cans of beer – about 1litre of beer and over the next 24 hours transfused his body with 15 cans of beer.
Apparently this controversial and eyebrow raising method was able to slow the rate at which the mans liver processed methanol, allowing doctors to effectively remove all the alcohol from his system.The body apparently prioritises breaking down of ethanol over methanol so by giving the man beer which is ethanol, the doctors were able to get the methanol out.
Personally, I wouldn’t recommend this method.